The Belfast Beacon

The Second Amendment

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Second Amendment

Travis Hale

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” You may have heard this before, and it’s a good thing if you have. This is the second amendment to our Constitution in the United States of America. This was made by our forefathers so that we as citizens have the right to guns.

The Second Amendment prohibits any federal gun control laws. This is why states have their own laws. The second amendment is an individual right. The Supreme Court has never considered that the second amendment guaranteed only a state’s right to maintain militia’s rather than an individual citizen’s right to keep and bear arms. This right protects individuals only against action by the federal Government”(Second”)” .

There should be no state laws because the federal government doesn’t have any and in the constitution they wrote the Second Amendment in case the government gets out of control, we can fight back. Some of the state laws in New York would be the seven round limit, where you can only have clips that hold seven shells or less. I think that that is alright for deer hunting because you shouldn’t shoot that many times anyhow, but for target practice and just shooting in general, I think that there is no reason for the seven round limit.  But with the state laws, the military has heavier artillery and much better artillery. People should be able to own whatever guns they want. So many people have illegal guns anyhow, so the only people that the state is stopping from having them is the safe people who follow the rules. If people want those kinds of guns, they’re pretty easy to get. (Lund) .

Some people may say that they don’t need guns that big. WellCOMMA you never know what the government is going to do and some people might want to be prepared and ready if the government tries to do something that they don’t like because this is America and it is all about the people and what they want to be done. Because this is the land of the free.

Works Cited

Lund, Nelson. “The 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.” National  Constitution Center – The 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Adam Winkler, n.d. Web. 16 May 2017.

“Second Amendment.” The Supreme Court A to Z (n.d.): n. pag. Web.