Mrs. Rhone: New Art Teacher

Ashley Estabrook

Mrs. Rhone, graduate of Buffalo State College with both a Bachelor’s in Art Education and a Master’s in Human Services Administration, is the new art teacher at Belfast, replacing Mrs. Lyman, who has just retired.  Previously, Mrs. Rhone taught elementary art at BCS part-time and is now moving into the full-time high-school position.

Mrs. Rhone hails from Grand Island, NY, and her family currently consists of her husband, six month old son Callum, and cat Firenze. She has been inspired by her Christian faith as well as by people, including her husband, family, high school art teachers, and Mrs. Lyman. Her hobbies include cooking, hiking, camping, travelling, spending time with family and friends, and of course, art. “I have always loved creating, even as a young child” she says, and a deeper passion for art developed when she entered her high school years. It was then that Mrs. Rhone decided that she wanted to pursue a career in art education. She says that she loves teaching children to succeed in the area of art, but also uses art as a way to connect with children.

Before coming to Belfast, Mrs. Rhone held many jobs such as dish-washing, babysitting, life-guarding, working as a camp counselor, and substitute teaching. “I am excited to begin this new journey as a high school teacher and getting to know all of my students again as teenagers and young adults. I hope to challenge and inspire my students to be lifelong learners and creative thinkers,” she says.

Best wishes to Mrs. Rhone as she begins this new journey as a high school art teacher, and although she is not new to Belfast school, let’s make her feel welcome to her new position!