The Student News Site of Belfast Central School

The Belfast Beacon

The Big Picture

Gabby Lindo

In January of 2013, I enrolled as a seventh grader at Belfast Central School. I’ve been to other schools in the past: Elmira Heights and Arkport Central School, neither quite like this one. When I first arrived at BCS, I knew right then and there that this would be the school I would graduate from. My new home and school was better than it ever was before, so I figured it wasn’t necessary to move again. No more transferring from school to school or moving from place to place. Many questions drifted in my head the night before my first day. Would I fit in? Would I have trouble adapting? Would my grades suffer as a result? Would I even like it here? Over the years, these questions were all answered. The first and last question was the only yes, and the rest were no.

BCS welcomed me with open arms. Mrs. Heaney and Mr. Roche explained all the rules and conditions, then gave me my schedule. Studying it for a bit, I realized that my first period class was Home and Careers with Mrs.Marsh. Mrs. Heaney led me there, but on the way, she showed me my locker, which I loaded with my stuff. Afterwards, we stood in the doorway for a few minutes. I didn’t want to enter because I was so worried and anxious for what was waiting for me in that room. First impressions are important. I was the “new girl” and I didn’t want them to see me as something I’m not. After some persuasion, I finally entered.

I met Mrs.Marsh and she introduced me to some of my classmates. Sydney Ace thoughtfully volunteered to be my guide until I became familiar with the school. She was the first classmate I talked to. She, Rylea Comstock, Samantha Burgio, Morgan Hamer, Megan Rose and Hannah Gent–who is no longer a student at BCS — became my first friends, although I made more friends throughout the day such as Cassandra Hadaway, Danielle Cassady, etc. My second period class was Technology with Mr. Larson, and that’s where I met the rest of my classmates, because we all had that class at the same time. Third and fourth period are a blur, but I do recall fifth period being my lunch. Luckily, I had lunch with my first friends and they allowed me to sit with them. I don’t remember what I ate that day.

All worries and anxiety dissipated around sixth period. I did get lost trying to find my locker around that time, but Sydney found me and she guided me to my locker which wasn’t anywhere near where I was roaming (by Mr.Heaney’s room). I became so comfortable and at ease with everything I once dreaded. I realized that there was nothing to be afraid of. I would fit in with the clique consisting of my first friends, I wouldn’t have trouble adapting to my new environment — after all, BCS isn’t a jungle — my grades wouldn’t drop, and I would love it here! I hoped for the best.

From period to period and class to class, I met more and more of my teachers, some who no longer work here. Mr. Hazelton, Mrs. Alessi, Mrs.Burr, Mr. Siegel, Mr. Heaney, Mr.Sullivan, Mr.Briggs, Mrs. Enders and Mrs.Lyman were my teachers that year. My favorite out of the bunch was Mrs. Alessi, and still is. I didn’t like some of the subjects taught, such as math and art, but I did like the teachers teaching them.

As the years roll by, the answers to the questions I asked myself in seventh grade changed. I am a senior, and things are so much different now. But one thing has remained: BCS is still my home. I haven’t graduated yet, but when I do, I’ll probably become homesick and depend on memories like these to thrive. I’ll miss everything: my classmates, my teachers, and my BCS pride. I did end up moving again, but since the house wasn’t far away, I didn’t have to transfer schools which I am so grateful for. Belfast is a small town and has a small school, but I am glad to be a part of the big picture.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “The Big Picture”

1. Evelyn Alessi on September 21st, 2017 7:13 pm

You and your family has added so much to BCS! And it’s nice to be somebody’s favorite. Wishing you all the success in the world 🙂

[Reply]

2. hailie on October 10th, 2017 1:04 pm

I love your story. when i first arrived here though i felt much of the opposite. i was for sure that we were just staying for a little bit. we were gonna be moving in the summer i was told and i once again believed it. we were always supposed to move to indi. still as you see we haven’t. i walked in to class thinking just a little longer and you will be home at last and then no more moving. but your an amazing writer, u captured your feelings great.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Big Picture

American Teenager Project

Stephen Struckmann

• The Big Picture

American Teenager Project

Keith Weaver

• The Big Picture

American Teenager Project

Kevin McCumiskey

• The Big Picture

Alumni Spotlights

Mafe Soria Wins 48 Hour Film Project

• The Big Picture

News

Students Trained in Sources of Strength

• The Big Picture

Features

Losing a Grandfather

• The Big Picture

Alumni Spotlights

Melinda Holmes (Bentley)

• The Big Picture

Alumni Spotlights

Miranda Harms

• The Big Picture

Alumni Spotlights

Casey Deming

• The Big Picture

Features

Haunted Hayride

The Big Picture