Students Attend Sweethearts and Heroes Seminar

Ashley Estabrook

This past Friday, all students in grades 5- 12 were boarded on buses to what we thought would be just a boring anti-bullying seminar, just like the ones that we had been going to ever since we can remember. But, at the Sweethearts and Heroes seminar, we were in for a big surprise.

After we were all seated in the auditorium of Fillmore Central School, the room dimmed and a video started. It showed former MMA fighter Tom Murphy. Then, to our surprise, he actually came out and he was the one giving the seminar.  The photo here shows Mr. Murphy with me after the seminar.

The event was also led by a veteran named Rick. Tom and Rick (and his service dog Amos) taught us some valuable lessons about bullying, its history, why it happens, and most importantly, taught us what we can do to help. Unlike other bullying seminars that I have been to, which have been geared towards bullies or victims, this one was geared towards the bystander, and it taught them what they could do to help.

Among other things, we learned that jumping into action when you see bullying occur is one of the best ways to prevent further bullying. I’m so glad that our school had the opportunity to go to this Sweethearts and Heroes seminar, and I am certain that after going to this, students now know that they can make a difference.