Oh, The Places You’ll Go: Dr. Seuss Week

Cassandra Hadaway and Danielle Cassady read to elementary students

Hannah Lindo

Cassandra Hadaway and Danielle Cassady read to elementary studentsThis week, Dr. Seuss’s birthday was celebrated by the PreK-6 students here at BCS. Each day of the week celebrated one of his books, with students wearing distinctive clothing to match the themes of each book. “Fox in Socks,” “The Sneetches,” “Wacky Wednesday,” “Green Eggs and Ham,” and the infamous “the Cat in the Hat” were represented. Decorations were hung throughout the halls, special Dr. Seuss challenges were available with prizes in store, his books were read by high school students, and an assembly on Friday wrapped up the week of Dr. Seuss with guest reader Bill Heaney, retired BCS English teacher.

How much do you really know about Dr. Seuss? Even though he is known as the King of Children’s Books, Dr. Seuss wasn’t a children person. Some say  that he was even intimidated by them! Dr. Seuss wasn’t originally the successful author we know either. His first book, “And to Think I Saw it on Mulberry Street,” was rejected twenty-seven times — so often that he planned on burning the book. On top of that, “The Butter Battle” was pulled from the shelves because of the innuendos about the Cold War. Dr. Seuss also drew advertising cartoons and made films –two of which won Academy Awards (“Gerald Mcboing-Boing” and “Design for Death” — a documentary about Japan). Even his books contain allusions you probably didn’t know. Did you know that “Yertle the Turtle” was based on Hitler? Or that “Horton Hears a Who” is about Japan? Or that “Green Eggs and Ham” was the result of a bet that Dr. Seuss couldn’t write a book using only fifty words? Dr. Seuss even managed to make it into pop culture by inventing the worn “nerd” in his book “If I Ran the Zoo.”

Dr. Seuss is a world-renowned children’s author who impacted many families since his first book was published in 1937.  His work will be remembered forever and his name will be celebrated as one of the best child entertainers who not only made us laugh but educated us. Thank you, Dr. Seuss!