Boys Basketball

Dan Geyer, Sports Editor

Before sectionals began, the Belfast Boys Varsity Basketball team had a record of 14-3 entering the final week of regular season but racked up two more wins to end with a 16-3 regular season record. It started on February 13th, with a 56-24 win against Hinsdale.

Two days later, Whitesville came into town as Belfast honored seniors Mike Hamer, Gage Lincoln and Matt Borden before tipping off. Coach Ron Enders started all three seniors and sophomore guards McCumiskey and Adam Enders as Belfast raced out to a 24-8 first quarter lead and never looked back, winning 79-41. The highlight of the game was a Mike Hamer kick flip and underhanded free throw. Matt Borden was the star of the game with twenty-seven points and ten rebound double-doubles, while Adam added twenty-six as Belfast ended the regular season 16-3.

D2 sectionals began on February 21, with the 4th seeded Bulldogs tipping off against #13 Friendship. Belfast started out hot, leading 15-2 before Friendship coach Donahue called timeout. Belfast continued their hot start, ending the first quarter en route to a 100-29 victory. Enders netted twenty-three, Leiseur added twenty-two and senior Gage Lincoln added twenty-one  points and eight boards as the bench played most of the game.

The Bulldogs saw their season end with a 61-57 loss to Andover in the quarterfinals in front of a packed Paul Vienna Gym and by full, I mean no place to sit, unless you sat on the bleacher steps. Adam Enders netted a game high thirty-four for the Bulldogs. The season was far from a loss. Belfast finished 17-4, a huge improvement from last year, in which they finished 10-11. They also swept five teams in the regular season (Hinsdale, Friendship, Fillmore, Whitesville, J-T) and won nine games in a row between the loss to Finney and to Andover in the Lions club tourney and won their first county title since 1998. The Bulldogs made history this year when Adam Enders became the sixth player in school history to score one thousand points in his varsity career.  The Bulldogs lose Matt Borden, Gage Lincoln and Mike Hamer to graduation, but with the incoming talent from the JV level, look for this team to hopefully be making a deeper run in sectionals next season. The team thanks everyone who supported and helped the team this season.