The Student News Site of Belfast Central School

The Belfast Beacon

Ask Sources of Strength

Ashley Estabrook

Dear SOS,

I have been struggling with depression ever since I went through a bad break up with my boyfriend a few months ago. My grades have gone down, I’m losing friends, and I just don’t feel the motivation to even get out of bed. I mean, would anybody even miss me if I was gone?  ~Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

The first thing I want to make clear is that people would miss you. Be it your parents, grandparents, friends, or even your teachers, I 100% guarantee that you would be missed. The second thing is, I know this sounds cliche, but he’s not worth your time. He really isn’t. Queen Bey says it best “You had your turn, now you’re gonna learn what it really feels like to miss me.” Third thing is, you are not alone. According to psychcentral.com “approximately 20% of teens experience depression before they reach adulthood.” A high sense of Spirituality is a good coping mechanism. This can mean whatever you want it to mean: going to church and praying or sitting at home and meditating, completely your choice (just avoid the occult). Medical Access is also helpful if you continue feeling depressed, and there are plenty of doctors (PhD or MD, your choice) that would be more than happy to assist you. Please talk to a trusted adult or counselor about your feelings and don’t try to get through this alone.  ~SOS Peer Leaders

If you have any questions about Sources of Strength or how it could help you, please ask a member, go to goo.gl/oMHspz , or visit the Sources of Strength website.