College Course Offering: Biology

Erin Cole

College Biology is another college course that is offered at BCS. It costs $75.00 dollars for each semester, which is really inexpensive. The book needed is loaned to the students for the year. College Biology is three credits for the whole year.

The class is split up into two parts, lecture and lab. One day, the students will be in the DL room with other schools taking notes on the topic they are on at the time, such as genetics or cell mutation. The other day, the students will be in the lab, doing experiments that are sometimes fun.  

The course is split up into four chapters each quarter. At the end of a quarter, there is a test on all four chapters. So, in all, the students take four tests. It sounds easy, but the tests are on a lot of information from four different chapters. It takes a good deal of work to study four chapters and do well on the tests, but in the end, it’s all worth it.

Mr. Hazelton, who teaches the course, provides a review sheet to fill out and gives three extra points on the test grade if the sheet is filled out correctly. The test grade is not the only grade the students receive. Mr. Hazelton gives students assignments on a site called Moodle. The site is like a chat room for answering questions: every student in the class and in the other schools are on it and will see what other students comment. The assignments for Moodle include answering two of the four questions given, replying to two answers posted by students, and completing a chapter quiz.

It looks and sounds like a lot, but if you have good time management skills, this course will be fairly easy for you. It is very beneficial to take this course in high school instead of waiting for college.