Sara Gilbert

Sara Gilbert

Do you remember Sara Gilbert? She was once a student at Belfast Central School and is now an Investigator Specialist in Durham, North Carolina. Before this position, she was an undergrad at Mansfield University and then a Sr. Accounting Associate.

Sara informs students at BCS that “There are more opportunities than you think at Belfast. Many students who go to larger schools can’t do multiple things at once. I was in band, played two sports, was in a play, musicals, NHS, and SADD. You don’t have those opportunities forever, so take advantage while you can.”

Her advice to students about preparing for their future is direct.  “Don’t be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and try new things. Apply to a school away from home. Take a class you wouldn’t normally take. Join an organization and make new and different friends from high school. Move to a new city after graduation. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t get your dream job right out of college. Apply to temp agencies and get experience. Work hard and do your best, even if you feel the job is ‘beneath’ you or not your thing. Supervisors will notice, and these supervisors will be your references for when you do find that job in your field. Good references are gold, even if your job was folding t-shirts at the mall.”