National Honor Society Field Trip


Gabriel Lindo

Click here for a photo gallery from the field trip. 

On April 26, 2018, NHS and JNHS left the school at 9:30am and took an hour and a half long bus ride to the Buffalo News office. There, they provided us with a tour and lunch. We observed people working on computers and operating machines with one intention: to get the word out. They showed us how newspapers, magazines, posters, pamphlets, etc. were developed. It was a quiet environment, though everyone was busy. We asked many questions, and some of them were: “How do you conduct interviews?” “Is it a competitive workforce?” “How do you decide what topics to write about?” We toured the newsroom, the advertising floor, the print shop, and the five-story printing press. After all our questions were answered, we headed over to the Erie County Naval and Military park to tour ships.

Three ships were available and we split into groups and toured each one.. Each ship was equally fascinating. We were able to see how the sailors made their living and fought on the ships. The conditions were terrible. There wasn’t much space and there was no privacy, it was crowded, their beds were mats as hard as rocks, the kitchens and bathrooms were small, and I almost got lost. Lake Erie was breathtaking and added props that made it feel so real.

Next, we went for Hibachi Diner for shrimp, chicken, or steak and fried rice. We all sat patiently as two cooks prepared our meals right in front of us! I was impressed with their skills and the food was delicious. After everyone finished eating we went next door to a coffee shop and then returned to the bus.

At about 7:30 pm, we arrived at Shea’s to see the musical, The Phantom of The Opera. Having already seen the movie, I knew what to expect. I saw Wicked in the past, but this performance was much better. Everyone gave the cast a standing ovation. There were excellent effects, voices, choreography, and acting. I was completely blown away with how professional and perfect it was!

At about 10:00 pm, we headed home. I managed to get home at midnight, but before going to bed, I replayed the whole trip in my mind because it was one of the best field trips I have ever been on. Too bad I won’t be in NHS next year. Hopefully I’ll get to chaperone!